Sky is one of the biggest household names in subscription television, so it’s inevitable they’re going to have an array of different products for both TV and broadband. Here, we’re going to look into some of the Sky TV packages to help decide if Sky is for you. As always, we’ve got you covered.
When considering Sky TV, you have a range of different packages to choose from. After all, you make them yourself! Starting with the Sky Signature package, you can add whichever extra channels you like. Some you have to keep for your whole contract, but some you can change every month.
Here’s a bit of information on each package to help you decide:
|Sky Signature||£25||18 months||300+||No|
|Sky Sports||£20||18 months||11||Yes|
|Sky Cinema||£11||18 months||12||Yes|
|BT Sports||£27||31 days (rolling)||4||Yes|
|Sky Kids||£5||31 days (rolling)||8||No|
All of these packages come with exclusive Sky channels and content, many of which you won’t find anywhere else. And if you’re still struggling for something to watch, simply ask your Sky Q box ‘What should I watch?’.
Channels to watch out for
With over 300 channels on the basic Sky TV package, Sky Signature, and 150 not on Freeview, having so much choice can be daunting.
- Sky One – Sky One offers Sky original content such as sports panel show A League of Their Own and drama A Discovery of Witches, as well as successful US content such as The Simpsons and Futurama. The channel has also created hits in the past such as docusoap Pineapple Dance Studios, and entertainment documentary, Brainiac: Science Abuse.
- Sky Atlantic – Sky Atlantic offers the best of the US with HBO shows such as Game of Thrones and Westworld, and more of your favourite action and drama shows. The channel also hosts an array of Sky Originals including dramas Domina, and Tin Star.
- Gold – If you miss sitcoms like Only Fools and Horses, Dad’s Army, and Keeping Up Appearances, Gold is the channel for you. You can watch your old favourites all day long.
- National Geographic – For some of the best science, exploration, and adventure documentaries, National Geographic is a great place to start. From the earth to space and back to the sea, there’s no end to what you can learn with this channel.
- Challenge – If you love quiz and game shows, you’re going to love Challenge. While new shows aren’t often shown on this channel, you can watch shows such as Supermarket Sweep, The Chase, Wheel of Fortune, and The Price is Right.
Sky TV and broadband deals
If you’re planning on upgrading to Sky TV, it might be worth having a look at their TV and broadband deals, especially if you’re already planning on switching broadband providers. By choosing a TV and broadband deal, you could save over £10 per month on your subscription.
If you’re opting for Sky’s Superfast broadband with your TV package, you could save over £10 per month compared to buying the two separately. For £42 per month, you’ll receive Sky Signature, Pay As You Talk, and Superfast broadband. Sky Superfast broadband offers download speeds of 59Mbps – fast enough for the streaming needs of 4 people.
If you’re looking for something a bit faster, you can go for the Sky TV and Ultrafast broadband package, starting at £50 per month. With Sky Signature, Pay As You Talk, and Ultrafast broadband all included, you could save over £10 per month by buying TV and broadband together. With download speeds of 145Mbps, Sky’s Ultrafast broadband is perfect for streaming your favourite shows, even in 4K.
When creating Sky TV packages, you don’t just have the option to add different channels, you can have a whole range of extras added on to really make the most of your subscription and improve your viewing experience.
|HD||£7||31 days (rolling)||
|Ultra HD + HD||£11||31 days (rolling)||
New Sky TV customers will receive a Sky Q box rather than the old Sky+ boxes, however, existing customers can also upgrade their Sky+ box at a reduced rate.
Your Sky Q box will come with an array of different devices you can connect to, including:
- Sky Q Mini Boxes (these can also work as WiFi hotspots if you have Sky broadband)
- A Sky Q Hub broadband router
- Your Sky Q remote with voice control (with either buttons or a touchpad)
The great thing about Sky Q is that you can watch Sky channels in more than one room – you can even pause your show in one room ready to continue it in another. Pause, rewind, and restart live shows to take full control of your viewing. Or, your Sky Q box can store 500 hours of TV for you to come back to.
Sky Q starts at £25 per month for the Signature package and you can add more channels and extras like you would with a Sky+ contract.
Currently, you’ll still need a Sky satellite dish to use your Sky Q box, but Sky is working on a box that won’t require a dish, which we’ll hopefully see in the near future.
If you’re not sure about upgrading to Sky TV, you can still access the Sky Store where you can buy or rent shows and films without needing a subscription. If you do have a Sky subscription, you can buy content to keep on your TV and other devices.
Sky Store has an immense library of films to choose from, often straight from the cinema. If you have a Sky Cinema subscription, you can get 20% off any films on the Sky Store, excluding Sky Premieres.
You can watch content that you’ve bought or rented on your:
- Sky TV box
- PC/Mac desktop app
- Android/iOS app
- NOW TV or Roku box
- LG Smart TV
Sky Go Extra
Sky TV customers can watch and download their favourite content wherever and whenever they are for free with Sky Go. Simply sign in with your Sky iD and you’re ready to start watching.
However, you can also upgrade to Sky Go Extra for additional benefits such as being able to download and watch offline, watching on your games console, and watching Sky Go on 2 devices at once.
If you’ve included multi-screen in your Sky TV package, you’ll get Sky Go Extra included for no extra cost, however, you can opt to upgrade to Sky Go Extra without multiscreen for £5 per month. You’ll still only have access to the content in line with your subscription, for example, if you only have the Sky Signature package, you won’t be able to watch films or sports, even if you upgrade to Sky Go Extra.